Record Temperatures

Last Summer brought headlines reporting of high school and college league football deaths due to heat stroke.

With a high percentage of the 6,000 people going to the emergency room for heat stroke being athletes between the age of 15 and 19, a careful consideration began to be taken into account on the amount of time athletes spend outside to the limitations coaches should take for the sake of their lives.

Coaches have been criticized for being the catalyst to these tragedies, pushing their players too hard and having a negligent attitude on the care for their players in the intense heat. In high school, teams were restricted to either no or leisurely practice if there was no water present in prevention of this issue.

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/record-heat-and-humidity-highschool-football-science-0552.html

According to this article, the death rate has increased since the late 1900s and most of these deaths occurred on the eastern border of the United States.

Should coaches be penalized for these deaths since they were in their care?

2 Responses to “Record Temperatures”

1. tscott3 says:

At my school the only time you weren’t allowed to play your sport was if it was raining outside. I hated playing in the heat and my coach was a jerk and we barely had time for water breaks. Unlike my teammates I was fortunate enough to be raised to enjoy the heat but they thought it was a death sentence. I can recall many occasions of girls almost fainting. In some conditions I do believe that coaches should be held responsible but I’m only biased because of the awful coaches I’ve done through.

2. lizking17 says:

I really think it depends on the case. When I was playing field hockey and softball there were heat advisorys that came out and the athletic trainer gave us the “go” signal on wether we could take the field or not. Athletes should learn how to hydrate. A water bottle was basically strapped to my hand when I was playing field hockey. Some coaches, like mine, are extensive enough to where they weigh us before and after practice and make us drink a certain amount of water. Its really all in the hydration method and recognizing the signs of over heating before they catch up to the athlete. Its on the player’s shoulders to take care of themselves but it should be a key point for the coaches to emphasize hydration to their players.