LeBron one of the best players in the game?

LeBron James is the most contoversial NBA player in the game today. It wasn’t just his decision to go to Miami that made people upset, but the way he did it. James guaranteed “not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7 championships”, yet more. This changed the public’s perception of James as a humble basketball star to an ignorant, bigheaded athlete. Now that he is with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and the Heat, people expect instant results.

Since the end of the 2011 NBA Finals all the talk about LeBron was how he was a choke artist and who was unable to finish the fourth quarter. They have even gone as far as saying LeBron is no longer a top player in the NBA. I am truly unable to understand how this can even be a valid argument: moreover, it seems as though everyone has dropped him from the top ever since he went to Miami. Just because an individual dislikes a player does not mean that he automatically should be written off as a bad player. James is no longer one of the most liked guys in the NBA, but he still certainly is one of the best players.

The stats James has provided is unbelievable compared to the average NBA player. And when one looks beyond his stats it is obvious that he can take over a game. The man can dominate anyone guarding him and when he is on James is unstoppable. Additionally, everyone tends to forget that he won back to back MVP’s and NBA defensive first team in the seasons of 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 as well. This was only two and three years ago and without him the Cavaliers would never have made the playoffs. Yes James may have a history of choking in the playoffs: however, everytime he chokes his team loses which just shows his value as a player on his team.

Personally I believe LeBron James to be a beast and easily one of the top three players currently in the NBA.

2 Responses to “LeBron one of the best players in the game?”

1. dfarinet says:

I will be the first to say that I was disappointed in James’s decision to leave the Cavaliers. I lost a lot of respect for him that day. However, it is only because i think so highly of him. I think he is without a doubt one of the greatest players to play this game, and he’s only 26! I really wanted to see him be successful and start a legacy that was his alone. Now with him being with Wade and Bosh I don’t think he will ever get the recongniton he deserves if they go onto win numerous championships. I don’t he should either. I mean James is out of this world athletic and the things he can do is unfair compared to what other people are limited to do. Now that he has taken this talent and combined it with another out of this world superstar, Wade, I think it just takes away from how special of a player he truely is. Not to mention they have a third player on the team, Bosh, who can get anywhere from 20-30 points on any given night. SO when people say Lebron sucks and he’s not that good of a player I believe it’t there way to say they’re disappointed in him for taking the easy rode to wining a championship.

2. tbone32511 says:

You are right people are very ignorant when it comes to evaluating Lebron James. He obviously doesn’t suck and he’s a very talented and gifted individual. One of his faults however is not being able to close out games recently. People can’t forget some of his unbelievable comebacks while in Cleveland, but he hasn’t proved he can do so and be “the guy” down the stretch for the Heat. I would definitely say he is one of the most talented players in the league, but i wouldn’t put him into the top 3 overall best basketball players. Kobe still has that title and will have it until Lebron wins a championship or Kobe retires. I believe Durant and Wade to be ahead of Lebron as complete basketball players as well.

People also expect instant results from the Heat because all of the hype they surrounded themselves with. With what Lebron said about how many championships they would win and how they shared with the public that anything less than a ring would be a failure. So yes, people expected instant results when they flat out guaranteed more than 7 championships, regardless if it was a joke or not.