Female Athletes

How do we perceive women and sports?

On the April 4 edition of MSNBC’s Imus in the Morning, host Don Imus referred to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team, which is comprised of eight African-American and two white players, as “nappy-headed hos” immediately after the show’s executive producer, Bernard McGuirk, called the team “hard-core hos.” Later, former Imus sports announcer Sid Rosenberg, who was filling in for sportscaster Chris Carlin, said: “The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the [National Basketball Association’s] Toronto Raptors.”

(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/national/main2675273.shtml)

I don’t agree with what society has to say about female athletes, I believe they are judged negatively and they aren’t given the exact same chance as male athletes either. You could look at the pay rate and come to that conclusion on your own. Why is it that female athletes are judge the way they are? Does society view women as being something different other than an athlete?

Everyone has their own personal view, I can’t argue with that, but what you say can really affect others, and there is always a right and wrong time to say something. Even though Don Imus said what he said, and admitted to it, doesn’t change the fact that he views female athletes as nappy-headed Hos. Unfortunately that was the only racial slur that has been brought up with female athletes, or an offensive comment in that matter. Don Imus isn’t the only person who thinks that and it is sad that females are looked down upon like that because they would rather play a sport than act like what a society says a female should act.

One Response to “Female Athletes”

1. tscott3 says:

I believe that all athletes should in a way be treated equally. Women are definitely poorly portrayed and offensive comments are more common in the media towards them. I think that male athletes have greater physical capabilities but they shouldn’t be given higher priority. Sexist comments are obviously going to happen because women aren’t physically men but that doesn’t mean that they should be spoken aloud.