Coaching

In today’s day and age coaching has been seen more as as a back-burner rather than an actual occupation with strenuous teaching.  I feel that with the talent, strength, and athleticism it ultimately takes away the ability of the coach.  Coaches such as Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, and Joe Girardi  have such talented players that their roles of coaching are limited and diminished which I feel takes away from the game.  A great example of a Coach in my eyes is Vince Lombardi from the Green Bay Packers.

Vince Lombardi was more than a coach, he was an icon and a role model for his players.  He was not just a great coach, he was also a great leader who knew how to motivate his players.  He would make all his players into leaders with this philosophy “only by knowing yourself can you become an effective leader”.   Coach Lombardi was remarkable for his ability to win in which he expected 110 percent from all of his players. Winning was not his only goal, he was each player to reach the best of his ability not only as a football player, but as a person as well.  Every season he would promise his player that with obedience  and discipline they will win a championship, which was true because in his 11 year career he won 149 games and 7 Championships (five NFL championships and two Super Bowls).  At his time of coaching there was a lot of problems with race, which was never a factor for Vince Lombardi.  Coach Lombardi was a public figure who many people looked up to because he was all about shaping people into becoming men.

Bart Starr was a premier NFL quarterback under Vince Lombardi.  He is considered one of the best QB’s  to have played the game and he credits his coach for much of his success.  A great story that I saw on HBO films about Coach Lombardi on Bart Starr really caught my eye.  Coach Lombardi was always very hard and harsh on his players because he demanded excellence.  Bart would always get yelled at during practice and one day he decided to talk to coach in his office.  He told him that if he expected him to play at a high level, he was going to need for him to stop yelling at him so he can make decisions without him be ostracized all the time.  After that meeting he never again gave him an earful during practice, and that’s why I highly value Coach Lombardi because he respected what his players thought.

Vince Lombardi was the greatest coach in my mind because he carried himself with such high manner that it reflected on his players.  His many philosophies are still used today in coaching, but I feel they aren’t implemented as well.  Coaches today have an easier way out with such talent that they don’t get as much credit. With Coach Lombardi he went down as the greatest NFL coach of all time and now the Super Bowl Trophy is named after him.  His legacy will live on forever and his quotes will remain in our minds.  With that I leave you with a great video of his accomplishments and my favorite quote “They call it coaching but it is teaching.  you do not just tell them…you show them the reasons…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEELeovGCa8

One Response to “Coaching”

1. Steph says:

Great article! It seems it’s time college athletes should be paid. The NCAA has held down this racket for a long time. If they don’t change, more than $2,000 per year, they’re going to fall. The debate over at TC Huddle got me thinking about this. I wondered what other people were saying and found your opinion.

Thanks for the post! Enjoyed it. Here’s the article that led me here if you’re curious: http://www.tchuddle.com/2011/07/pay-the-kid-the-earned-dollars-of-college-athletes/